Welcome to the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute® Externship Consultant Training Program!
The Synergetic Play Therapy Institute® Externship Consultant Training Program is designed to offer a clinically-rich learning environment as well as introduce potential Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy Consultants to SPTI programming. In the externship, consultants have an opportunity to learn while getting a preview of the Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy Consultant experience before making a full commitment.
SPTI Externs will be supported in deepening their SPT consultation skills, especially centered on facilitating group consultation at the Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy® level. As Externs move through the program, they will also receive orientation to the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute’s® values-driven systems and protocols. In addition, Externs can earn 26 CE credits by participating in and successfully completing the Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy® course. These credits can be utilized in a number of ways, including renewal of your Certified SPT credential!
During the Synergetic Play Therapy® Externship Consultant Training Program, Externs will have the opportunity to participate as consultants for one round of the six-month Online Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy course while receiving additional training and support before and during the program. Once the course is completed, and after a discussion of readiness with the Lead Intro to Synergetic Play Therapy Consultant and Supervisor Trainer, participants may have the opportunity to move into a paid independent contractor position as an Intro to Synergetic Play Therapy Consultant. The Intro to Synergetic Play Therapy Consultant then completes 5 more rounds of the course.
As an Extern, your responsibilities will include the following:
- Work with a diverse group of students both domestically and internationally.
- Work with a minimum of 3 students with a maximum of 9 students (between 1 and 3 groups) during the 6 month Online Synergetic Play Therapy Introductory course.
- Provide 50 minute group consultation(s) each month during the course, depending on group size.
- Provide a make-up individual consultation of 30-minute or 50-minute consultation to students that have missed a group consultation.
- Provide up to three 50-minute Pre-Certification consultations, monthly, to those going into the Certification Program to help prepare them for the course, adhering to the guidelines for Pre-Certification set forth in the Course Curriculum guidelines.
- Participate in the 6 month Online Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy course alongside their students- including attendance at live webinars for student support and watching the course videos.
Online Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy® Course Support/Consultation Groups:
The Synergetic Play Therapy® Externship Consultant Training Program begins in August with orientation and training. Then, the cohort is divided into two groups: one supports the 6-month October Online Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy Course and the other supports the 6-month January Online Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy Course. You will be asked to provide your ideal group consultation availability to the Lead Intro Consultant by using the links below. This information will help determine your group consultation dates/times.
- October 2023 Consultant Availability Sheet (Gemma, Kristin, Val)
- January 2024 Consultant Availability Sheet (Jayne, Lora, Wendy)
*Upon completion of the assigned Online Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy course you will be able to download and print a CE Certificate.
Externship Consultant Training Program Schedule: All Trainings are required as they are an integral part of the Externship experience. The coinciding lessons for each module will open one week prior to the scheduled training session (Times are in Mountain Time, Denver). *Should you need to miss a live training session, you will be required to view the recording and email a copy of your notes to your Lead Intro Consultant within 2 weeks of the live session date.
- Module 1: Introduction to Externship – August 15, 2023: 5-7 pm. This training is designed to orient externs to the externship program, SPTI’s mission/vision, SPTI’s systems and protocols and what it means to be a consultant at the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute.
- Zoom Meeting Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85616953377
- Module 2: Content Review – September 26, 2023: 2-3:30 pm. Externs will have an opportunity to learn directly from Lisa as the Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy course key teaching points are clarified and reviewed. This training is designed to help build confidence and clarity as externs will need to be able to teach concepts to their students.
- Required Handouts:
- Intro Course Content to Focus on During Group Consultation
- Intro Group Consultation Notes (Will be available soon!)
- Zoom Meeting Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88693358985
- Required Handouts:
- Module 3: Consultation Review – October 2, 2023: 5-7 pm. In this training module, externs will have an opportunity to review and deepen their understanding of what it means to be an SPT Supervisor. This knowledge will be translated into the role of a consultant while externs have the opportunity to practice complicated scenarios and develop skills to facilitate both individual and group consultation.
- Zoom Meeting Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85097953011
- Module 4: SPTI Resources Training – January 30, 2024: 5-6 pm (for Oct cohort); April 23, 2024, 5-6 pm (for Jan cohort). This training module is designed to help externs understand the basic principles behind upselling products and services. Through experiential role plays, externs will learn how to support students in making decisions about how they would love to continue to learn about Synergetic Play Therapy (courses, on-going consultation, etc) as this is an important part of student engagement.
You may use this link to review the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute® Externship Consultant Training Program Information Sheet.