This six-month online course includes FOUR, one-hour LIVE webinars with Lisa Dion, and six 2.5-hour recorded videos.
When: June 14th, 2022 – November 22th, 2022. Students will have access to the course until Jan 31, 2023 at which time all notes and completion of modules are due.
* Please note that all 4 LIVE webinars require in-person attendance to get full recertification credit (…but we understand that life can throw us curve balls sometimes, so if you need to miss one, take notes when you watch the recording and find instruction on your course page of where to upload).
Important Class Dates:
- June 14th webinar: One-hour LIVE Webinar (2 p.m. MST, Denver) – The Foundation
- June 17th: 1st video course release – Welcome & Understanding the Projective Process
- July 22nd: 2nd video course released – Exploring the Nervous System in the Playroom
- August 9th: BONUS VIDEO – SPT in Teletherapy released
- August 19th: 3rd video course released – Regulation – What It Is & What It Isn’t
- September 20th webinar: One-hour LIVE Webinar (2 p.m. MST, Denver) – Symptoms in the Playroom Review
- September 23rd: 4th video course released – Working with Caregivers
- October 21st: 5th video course released – Understanding Attachment & the Self-Object in Synergetic Play Therapy
- November 1st webinar: One-hour LIVE Webinar (2 p.m. MST, Denver) – Renewal Students Only
- November 8th webinar: One-hour LIVE Webinar (2 p.m. MST, Denver) – Attachment and Attunement in the Playroom Review
- November 11th: 6th/final video course released – Sand, Art & Aggression in Synergetic Play Therapy
What You’ll Review: Special topics such as tracking the play, attachment, facilitating sand, art, trauma, and aggressive play are covered from the perspective of nervous system regulation, attunement, mindfulness, and authenticity. Participants will also learn how to track their client’s changes for caregivers, teachers, agencies, and themselves. And, we’ve added a bonus recorded webinar just for you and to support you during these times – SPT in Teletherapy.
Mandatory Book: Dig out your copy of Aggression in Play Therapy: A Neurobiological Approach for Integrating Intensity by Lisa Dion The book is also currently available in Audio format and Spanish.
Intro Objectives by Class:
Class 1 / Webinar 1 – Welcome and Understanding the Projective Process
- Describe the basics of Synergetic Play Therapy® including the tenets, the history, and the main play therapy influences
- Explain how children use the projective process in play therapy to set the toys and the therapist up to feel how they feel
- Assess and explain the significance of why authenticity is so important in the playroom
- Describe how a SPT Therapist accesses (his/her/their) authentic self and deepens the child’s therapeutic process
Class 2 – Exploring the Nervous System in the Playroom
- Explain the link between nervous system states and the symptoms that show up in the playroom
- Describe the importance of regulation in the playroom
- Demonstrate how the therapist can become the external regulator so that the child can begin to learn how to regulate
- Explain what the concept “rocking the baby” means in Synergetic Play Therapy
Bonus Video – SPT and Teletherapy
- Explore how to become the client’s external regulator while facilitating a telehealth play therapy session
- Identity at least 3 ways the play therapist can regulate during a teletherapy session to prevent compassion fatigue and burnout
- Explore how the Synergetic Play Therapy concept of “The Set Up/The Offering” applies in a telehealth play therapy session
Class 3 / Webinar 2 – Regulation: What It Is and What It Isn’t
- Explain what regulation is and what it isn’t according to Synergetic Play Therapy®
- Discuss what it means to “overcome a challenge” in the play therapy process
- Describe what it means to become the external regulator in a session to help a child integrate their challenges
- Explain why you, the therapist, are the most important toy in the playroom
Class 4 – Working with Caregivers
- Discuss the implications for caregivers being in their own grief process whey they bring their children to play therapy
- Describe how to have a successful play therapy intake
- Discuss the importance of setting goals and speaking in terms of what is important to the caregiver
Live webinar with Lisa – Exclusive webinar for students renewing their Synergetic Play Therapist credential only.
- Bring your questions and have direct conversation with Lisa about what you are learning as she clarifies and continues to deepen your understanding
Class 5 – Understanding Attachment & the Self Object in Synergetic Play Therapy®
- Discuss Synergetic Play Therapy®’s definition and perspective on attachment
- Explain and demonstrate how to use the self-object as a way to support the client attaching to self
- Describe the link between a child’s attachment styles and their nervous system states
Class 6 / Webinar 3 – Sand, Art & Aggression in Synergetic Play Therapy®
- Explain how to use regulation as a way to help integrate aggressive energy in the playroom
- Describe how to facilitate the use of sand from a Synergetic Play Therapy® perspective in the playroom
- Explain how to facilitate the use of art from a Synergetic Play Therapy® perspective in the playroom
- Explain the concept of flooding in the playroom for both you and the child and list ways to create a neuroception of safety
Credits: 22 APT Non-Contact CE credits* (22 hours – Suggested APT Category: “Play Therapy Skills & Methods”)
*If you’re interested and qualify for APT-approved CE credits, you’ll have the opportunity to print out a certificate after watching each video and take a short quiz. You’ll also need it when you submit your SPT recertification/renewal form.
*Synergetic Play Therapy Institute, APT Approved Provider 09-264. For an understanding of which credits can be used towards your RPT or continuing education, please contact APT for the most updated requirements. Also, please note that Play therapy credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.
Cost: $400.00 (USD).
**Please note that monthly group consultation is not part of your renewal. If you’d like consultation with an SPT consultant to support you in further integrating SPT into your practice, you can purchase individual consultation or form a group for a discount.
Refund Policy: Cancellations received before 4-weeks from the start date will receive a full refund minus a $100.00 USD administrative/processing fee. Cancellation after this time and once the class begins will forfeit the entire payment of the course. However, payment can be applied towards a future Renewal of the Online Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy course (within one year). If an emergency arises, please contact us to discuss.