In this nine-month experiential course, through video observation, didactic learning, group discussion and independent study, you’ll learn how to step into one of the most impactful and influential roles in a play therapist’s journey …. Becoming a supervisor (and an SPT Supervisor at that!). You’ll explore the supervisory relationship through the Synergetic Play Therapy® lens; apply SPT principles to supervision so you can help develop these principles in your supervisees; and learn techniques and skills focused on helping you navigate the supervisory relationship and challenges that arise in the playroom.
When: September 12th, 2022 – May 15th, 2023
Important Class Dates:
- Sept 12th, 2022: LIVE webinar with Lisa Dion – Becoming a Synergetic Play Therapy® Supervisor – General Theory, 5-6:30 pm
- Sept 13th, 2022: Independent Study – Application of SPT Principles through a Supervisory Lens begins
- October 1st, 2022: 1st video course release – How to Supervise an SPT Supervisee
- October 25th, 2022: Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision – Group with Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:30pm
- November 1st, 2022: 2nd video course release – How to Supervise an SPT Supervisee
- November 21st, 2022: Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision – Group with Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:30pm
- December 1st, 2022: 3rd video course release – How to Supervise an SPT Supervisee
- December 12th, 2022: Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision – Group with Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:30pm
- January 2023: No video course release: Prepare for Individual Video review
- January 2023: Individual consultation with Khristine Rolfe. (No Group Class this month.)
- February 1st, 2023: 4th video course release – How to Supervisee an SPT Supervisee
- February 6th, 2023: LIVE Webinar with Lisa Dion – Running Group Supervision, 5-6:00 pm
- February 20th, 2023: Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision – Group with Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:30pm
- March 1st, 2023: 5th video course release – How to Supervisee an SPT Supervisee
- March 20th, 2023: Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision – Group with Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:30pm
- April 1st 2023: 6th video course release – How to Supervisee an SPT Supervisee
- April 17th, 2023: Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision – Group with Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:30pm
- May 8th, 2023: Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision – Group with Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:30pm
- May 15th, 2023: Final LIVE webinar with Lisa Dion and Khristine Rolfe, 5-6:00 pm
As a reminder, you need two supervisees in order to take the course. You must also meet the prerequisites and submit an application.
Time: *All times listed are in Denver, Colorado, USA, Mountain Time.
Where: Learn from anywhere! No commute required!
What You’ll Learn … Becoming a Synergetic Play Therapy® Supervisor Objectives: (Please note that this course is heavy on independent study, so plan your time accordingly. Expect at least 1 1/2 hours per month on independent work alongside the 1 hour per month for group supervision.)
Becoming a Synergetic Play Therapy® Supervisor – General Theory (4 Non-Contact Credits)
- Learn the Synergetic Play Therapy® Supervisor Tenets
- Discuss the SPT Skills Sets and the need to start with the basic skill sets
- Explain “The Set Up” in the Supervisory relationship
Independent Study: Application of Synergetic Play Therapy® Principles through a Supervisory Lens (4 Non-Contact Credits)
- Write your strengths and areas of growth as a supervisor through self video observation and self analysis
- Analyze the Tenets of Synergetic Play Therapy® Supervision through written analysis
How to Supervise an SPT Supervisee (6 Non Contact Credits)
- Apply the use of video in the supervision process
- Critique various therapists’ struggles in the play therapy process presented through video observation and ways to support their growth
- Discuss the importance of identifying one key skill the supervisee can be working on and the importance of communicating in the supervisee’s goals and values.
Clinical Issues in SPT Supervision Course – Groups (10 Non-contact Credits)
- Analyze various clinical issues that arise and ways to support the supervisees’ growth and learning
- Discuss the importance of making sure supervisees are working on basic play therapy skills first
- Learn various ways to understand where the supervisee is at in their therapeutic development and the importance of working with them where they are at in their stage development
Running A Group Supervision – Live Webinar with Lisa (1 Non-contact Credit)
- Apply SPT Supervisor Theory to group supervision
- Discuss ways to support the group when challenging group dynamics arise
- Explore how to become a supervision group’s external regulator
Credits: 25 Total Credits (Non-Contact)*
* Synergetic Play Therapy Institute, APT Approved Provider 09-246
Cost: $975.00 (USD) | $1,175 (CAD) | $1,175 (AUD) Pay in Full or Pay in 2 or 3 Installments
Refund Policy: A Full refund will be given, minus a $150 (USD) administrative /processing fee if cancellation is before 6-weeks from the start of your first class. A partial refund will be given, minus $300 (USD) administrative/processing fee if cancellation is after 6-weeks to the start of your first class. No refund will be given once the class begins. You may roll over your payment to the following year’s program (within one year). If an emergency situation arises, please contact the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute to discuss the situation. *Admin fees are listed in USD. The equivalent exchange rate applies for students paying in international currencies.
Instructors: Khristine Rolfe, LCMHC, RPT-S* & Lisa Dion, LPC, RPT-S*
*Khristine Rolfe, LCMHC, RPT-S, is a Certified Synergetic Play Therapist Consultant with over 25 years of therapeutic and educational experience in a variety of settings. She is honored to guide others in their professional and personal journeys and seeks to provide a supervisory experience that facilitates one’s intuitive wisdom, strength and authenticity.
*Lisa Dion, LPC, RPT-S, is an international teacher, creator of Synergetic Play Therapy, founder and President of the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute, co-founder of the Synergetic Education Institute, creator of the Business of Therapy and host of the Lessons from the Playroom podcast. She is the author of Aggression in Play Therapy: A Neurobiological Approach for Integrating Intensity and is the 2015 recipient of the Association for Play Therapy’s Professional Education and Training Award of Excellence.