Welcome to Playing Perfectly: A Play Therapist’s Guide for Working with OCD!
Drawing from Synergetic Play Therapy® and Interpersonal Neurobiology, this course will explore non-directive and directive play based interventions to help support play therapists like you on a path to understand the perfection in children’s perfectionism, while teaching the child how to do the same.
This course will take a deeper look at the regulatory function of the child’s behaviors that manage the internal conflicts and anxieties these children often carry. Through discussion and experiential exercises, play therapists will learn how to separate the underlying drivers from the wisdom of the rituals themselves. With this knowledge, play therapists will learn how to use themselves and many forms of play to help these children access an understanding of the greatest perfection that exists, the child just as they are!
- Identify at least 3 OCD themes and examples of their obsessions/compulsions to better understand a child’s symptoms in a play therapy process
- Discuss the importance of the play therapist’s role as the child’s external regulator in treating OCD during a play therapy session
- Explore Synergetic Play Therapy’s concept of “The Set Up/The Offering” with OCD in the playroom
- Explore how play therapy can help a child with OCD learn how to regulate through their anxiety
- Name at least 3 ideas to help treat OCD in a play therapy process
- Discuss the importance of working with the entire family system in play therapy when a child is struggling with OCD
Key Course Date/Time Information: May 19th, 2023, 9:00am – 4:30pm Mountain Time (Denver)
Zoom Registration: This 6-hour live webinar course will be held through Zoom. Please register through Zoom by no later than May 12, 2023, so that we have time to troubleshoot any issues before the start of the course. Please complete the course agreements “lesson” and the Zoom Registration “lesson” below to complete this requirement.
Schedule: All times below are shown in Mountain Time (Denver). If you are attending the live session in another time zone please convert accordingly. We recommend logging in using the Zoom Meeting link 10 minutes early to troubleshoot any unexpected technical issues.
- 9:00am – 10:30am
- 10:30am – 10:45am Break
- 10:45am – 12:15pm
- 12:15pm – 1:15 pm Lunch Break
- 1:15pm – 2:45pm
- 2:45pm – 3:00pm Break
- 3:00pm – 4:30pm
This session must be attended live and online, with your camera on, in order to receive any CE credit for this course. A recording of this session will not be available.
Preparing for Class:
To fully prepare for our live class together on May 19, 2023, please take the following steps by May 12, 2023:
- Complete the Course Agreements “lesson” at the bottom of the course homepage. The Course Agreements MUST be completed before you will gain access to the following lessons.
- Once you have completed the Course Agreements, you will be granted access to the next “lesson” to complete the required Zoom Registration.
- Access to the course Handouts “lesson” will be not be available until you have completed the steps above. Please download and/or print these handouts prior to May 19, 2023.
After the live session concludes on May 19, 2023, you will gain access to the final “lesson” to take the Quiz, complete a feedback questionnaire, and print/download your Certificate. Note: Access to the course will be removed on June 2, 2023.
If you are a mental health professional you may be eligible to earn play therapy approved CE credits for this course. Following the completion of this course and the associated quiz, you will have the opportunity to print/download a CE Certificate documenting 6 Non Contact CE credits earned during this course.
Synergetic Play Therapy Institute® is an approved provider for the following organizations:
*Synergetic Play Therapy Institute, APT Approved Provider 09-264
*Australian Play Therapists Association (APTA) Approved Provider
*British Columbia Play Therapy Association (BCPTA) Approved Provider
For a better understanding of which credits can be used towards your RPT credential or other continuing education credit, please contact the appropriate association for the most updated requirements. Please note that CE credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.
If you are not a mental health professional and would like to receive a certificate of completion, please contact the institute.
To complete the course and receive your certificate you must complete the quiz with a passing score of 80% or higher. Your course certificate will autogenerate following completion of the quiz in the final lesson. Please print/download your certificate immediately as it will not be saved in the online learning platform system.
Please remember that you will lose all access to the course site on June 2, 2023, and will no longer be able to access course materials. Please complete all requirements before the course closes.
For any questions or if you need further assistance, please contact email@example.com.